Product Engineer 3/4
Location: Elyria, OH
This position is responsible for design engineering of air disc brakes, including new products and product enhancements. The candidate has demonstrated success in completing design & analysis tasks and improving the state of the art in a mechanical engineering design environment. The candidate is versed in PLM, CAD, GD&T, FEA, CAE, APQP, DFMEA.
- Apply engineering knowledge in the design, analysis, launch, and improvement of air disc brakes to achieve cost effective design solutions.
- Apply PLM expertise to create bills-of-materials, manage document control, maintain & upgrade database integrity, and release change requests.
- Create, revise, and check 3-D CAD models and associated drawings.
- Apply geometric dimensioning & tolerancing (GD&T) to drawings, and perform tolerance stack-up calculations.
- Validate the design of new products or product enhancements by completing various analyses, such as stress/fatigue analysis, dynamic simulation, fastener calculations, and design for manufacturing & assembly.
- Contribute within a global cross-functional team environment, working with engineers, technicians, manufacturing plants, suppliers, and customers.
- Identify & implement improvements to advance the design process, which may include work flow, hardware/software selection, simulation techniques, and training.
- Ability to assimilate data quickly and drive engineering decisions.
- Capable of prioritizing time/resources/goals and leading with sense of urgency.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and a positive/proactive work ethic.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required (mechanical preferred), advanced degree a plus.
- Additional certifications a plus, such as Six-Sigma Green Belt , GD&T Professional Certification, Professional Engineer.
- Proficiency in CAD modeling & drawing with CREO is required.
- Product lifecycle management with Teamcenter Unified Architecture or similar PLM/PDM system.
- Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and tolerance stack-ups using ASME Y14.5M-1994.
- Design Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (DFMEA) using AIAG methodology.
- Manufacturing processes for metal casting, forging, precision machining, stamping, material treatment, molding, assembly.
- Specification of machinery components including bearings, seals, gaskets, springs, fasteners, fittings, lubricants.
- Finite element analysis (FEA) for stress and heat transfer, material fatigue analysis, dynamic simulation (e.g. Matlab, GT Power), and calculations of bolted joints, bearings, springs, seals/gaskets.
- Engineer 2; 3 to 5 year’s experience; Engineer 3; 5 to 7 year’s experience and Engineer 4; 7+ year’s experience with progressively responsible positions.
- Proven track record of applying mechanical design & analysis knowledge and well-established technical methodologies.
- Experience in related industry preferred, e.g. automotive, commercial vehicle, engine, driveline, braking system.
- Engineering subject matter expertise preferred in reciprocating piston machinery & cylinder head technology.