Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Are you a hands-on, system savvy, driven, accounting professional who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment? If so, Central is searching for someone like you! We are seeking an Accounting Manager for our Walnut Creek office. This position will be primarily responsible for managing the close, reviewing journal entries and account reconciliations. This role will report to the Assistant Corporate Controller and will have two direct reports.
This position is at our corporate office in Walnut Creek, California. Our office is located just a block from the Pleasant Hill Bart Station and is near great restaurants and the Iron Horse Trail, with a short drive to downtown Walnut Creek. Corporate office employees enjoy a free fitness center, free parking, product discounts, discounted membership at Club Sport and an amazing educational assistance program in addition to great medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance. To learn more about Central Garden & Pet, please see our website at www.central.com.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Lead the day-to-day accounting and general ledger activities, including reviewing journal entries, account reconciliations, perform the monthly consolidation process and monthly balance sheet and P&L reviews that provide insight into key business drivers
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes
- Mentor, coach and develop the team
- Manage the team to ensure that work is completed in a timely manner, in accordance with company policies and deadlines
- Assist in the development and implementation of global accounting policies, procedures and company-wide initiatives and identify opportunities for process improvements
- Responsible for compliance of internal controls under SOX in areas of responsibility
- Support the quarterly reviews and annual audits
- Assists with preparation of SEC financial filings – Form 10Q and Form 10K, etc
- Assists with research and interpretation of FASB, SEC and other financial pronouncements as needed
- Assists with acquisition due diligence and integration as needed
- Responsible for supervising the completion of various government surveys
- Other responsibilities as assigned
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related business field
- At least 5 years of experience with a mix of public accounting and industry experience, preferably with a public company
- At least one year leading a team
- CPA or MBA preferred
- ASC 842 and ASC 606 experience preferred
- Technical accounting research skills desired
- Effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information.
- Ability to manage a complex set of objectives and team goals
- Strong technical skills including, fluency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Exceptional financial and operational analysis skills
- Strong business acumen with the ability to effectively operate across diverse audiences
- Highly effective interpersonal and influencing skills
- Proven ability to meet financial closing and other reporting deadlines
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.